Friday, August 14, 2009
2. Swine Flu causes fever, sore throat, cough, running nose and in some cases, vomiting. The disease can be cured by taking medicines prescribed by the treating hospital.
3. The illness lasts up to a week in most cases. During this period avoid mixing with others and take plenty of fluids and rest.
4. Enough medicines and masks are available in the hospitals, therefore, panic in any case is not good for your health.
1. Wash your hands often.
2. Home is where you stay when you are sick.
3. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
4. Cover your coughs and sneezes with a handkerchief.
5. Keep your distance from people who are coughing and sneezing.
There is big money behind recent studies that have shown that chocolate is good for your health – and plenty of chocolate manufacturers that have jumped on the “chocolate as medicine” bandwagon. There has been some great news for heart patients – many don’t have to give up all of the foods they love to have a healthy lifestyle, some chocolate is actually good for heart health.
Plain dark chocolate has been found to be rich in flavanoids, which in turn help to reduce blood pressure, strokes and heart disease. It has even been claimed to lower one's levels of LDL cholesterol, the bad cholesterol. However chocolates being also rich in fats and sugars may offset the benefits offered by flavanoids according to some researchers. Flavonoids are also found in many fruits and vegetables as well as tea and red wines.
Consumption of chocolate two or more times in a week actually showed a positive association in reducing death rates in heart attack survivors compared to those who never eat them.
The study found chocolate consumption was associated with lower cardiac mortality in patients free of diabetes surviving their first heart attack. Previous studies have found that chocolate offers heart protection to older men and women, and lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow. People who eat dark chocolate regularly, in small servings, have significantly lower levels of C reactive protein, according to the study. This holds true even after accounting for any other potential confounding factors (such as differences in other dietary practices).
A piece of dark chocolate a day -- a very small piece -- keeps the doctor away.
Dark chocolate can be a flavorful and healthful treat to our heart disease prevention program. We should note that the benefit is provided by the flavanoid content of the cocoa. Not all dark chocolate has high cocoa content. In fact, the flavanoid content can be destroyed by processing. We must rely on manufacturers to state the flavanoid content as part of their future marketing strategies. Though far from perfect, use a minimum of "70% cocoa" labeling as a temporary guide in the absence of flavanoid content labeling.
How much dark chocolate should you consume?
Unfortunately, only a small amount is recommended. Most studies seem to suggest that you should limit the amount of dark chocolate to just 3.5 ounces or less a day.
The problem with consuming large amounts of dark chocolate is the extra calories you would be getting from the chocolate. If you are adding dark chocolate to your diet for your health, you need to balance the additional calories by eating less of some other snack food. Avoid chocolates with fillings such as caramel and nougat. These fillings are delicious, but they pile on the calories.
Monday, August 10, 2009
1. Wash your hands frequently
Use the antibacterial soaps to cleanse your hands. Wash them often, at least 15 seconds and rinse with running water.
2. Get enough sleep
Try to get 8 hours of good sleep every night to keep your immune system in top flu-fighting shape.
3. Keep hydrated
Drink 8 to10 glasses of water each day to flush toxins from your system and maintain good moisture and mucous production in your sinuses.
4. Boost your immune system
Keeping your body strong, nourished, and ready to fight infection is important in flu prevention. So stick with whole grains, colorful vegetables, and vitamin-rich fruits.
5. Keep informed
The government is taking necessary steps to prevent the pandemic and periodically release guidelines to keep the pandemic away. Please make sure to keep up to date on the information and act in a calm manner.
6. Avoid alcohol
Apart from being a mood depressant, alcohol is an immune suppressant that can actually decrease your resistance to viral infections like swine flu. So stay away from alcoholic drinks so that your immune system may be strong.
7. Be physically active
Moderate exercise can support the immune system by increasing circulation and oxygenating the body. For example brisk walking for 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week will significantly perk up your immunity.
8. Keep away from sick people
Flu virus spreads when particles dispersed into the air through a cough or sneeze reach someone else nose. So if you have to be around someone who is sick, try to stay a few feet away from them and especially, avoid physical contact.
9. Know when to get help
Consult your doctor if you have a cough and fever and follow their instructions, including taking medicine as prescribed.
10. Avoid crowded areas
Try to avoid unnecessary trips outside. Moreover, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
Thursday, July 2, 2009
of the latter half of the 20th century.
Yet, while Kellogg is still a powerful brand and maintains its status as
the provider of quality breakfast cereals, Corn Flakes is stagnating in
the past, unable to adapt to the ever-changing cereal landscape.
There is certainly nothing innately wrong with Corn Flakes, yet as new
ingredients and formulations of other cereals have developed and entered
this burgeoning market, it seems to have steadfastly refused to join the
Rather like salad cream, a stalwart of the traditional dining table,
Corn Flakes is mired in the past, with no new taste or health-related
ingredients. The product seems to have been unable to regenerate and
appeal to additional markets, preferring to maintain its status quo
among a shrinking older audience.
That said, its heritage is exemplary and there is something quietly
quirky about its refusal to contemporise and respond to changing food
habits and preferences.
- Corn Flakes could simply continue to offer a quality, traditional
cereal. Sales might fall but Kellogg would be able to take up the slack
via its wide product range.
- Alternatively, it could focus on its originality and heritage as a
provider of a simple, yet unadulterated breakfast cereal.
- It could also change its formulation to adapt to the health-related
market, but it would have to be careful not to alienate its core
audience by doing so.
They contain a range of nutrients including high quality protein, vitamins and minerals and as they are not high in saturated fat, they make them a healthy fast food for all the family.
They’re low in calories with only around 80 kcals per medium egg – so they are great if you’re on a diet, especially combined with vegetables and salads as part of healthy balanced meals.
Eggs contain many vitamins. In particular, they are source of various B vitamins and are especially rich in vitamin B2 riboflavin, and vitamin B12. Eggs are also a rich source of vitamin D and they also contain vitamin A.
Eggs contain many essential minerals and trace elements, including phosphorus, iodine and selenium and iron and zinc are present in smaller amounts.
Eggs are also rich in choline, an essential component of all cells.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Before I proceed, I would like to add that the first step to living a healthy life is to think positive. The next is the need to motivate your self to take part in any fitness-style activity. It is all very good and well saying, “I will take up fitness as part of my every-day routine,” but you need to actually motivate yourself to do it.
Yes, exercising is only way in which you can obtain a healthy living. Eating correctly and providing your body with right levels of nutrition is also good. In today’s society, so many people just simply do not have the time or money to buy and prepare fresh, healthy food everyday. Living a healthy lifestyle is very important in older people and is positively related to a reduced risk and a delay in the deterioration in their health. It slows down the aging process and helps the older generation stay strong and healthy. Living a healthier lifestyle also slows down the disease development and contributes to a longer life.
Being nutritious is not as hard as you may think. Changing a few simple things will do you the world of good. What you can do is - Cut down on sugar in your tea; change from butter to margarine, I have started though, even something as small as having low-fat versions of drinks and condiments will make a difference.
One of the greatest pleasures in life is food.
In standard diets favourite foods are banned. The defeat of diet is due to the deficiency that leads to intense desire and cheating. To stay healthy and have a balanced diet it is sensible to take in a sensible amount of the favourite food. Food should be eaten tastily and enjoyably. Blindly following a diet pattern designed without studying an individual’s health status could be even more harmful. So better be sensible in selection and take good advice from an expert.
Now the question is why is good nutrition important? I have got the answer. Good nutrition is important for everyone as healthful diets, it not only help children grow, develop, and do well in school but also enable people of all ages to work productively and feel their best. What people eat can also help reduce the risk for chronic diseases, such as heart disease, certain cancers, diabetes, stroke, and osteoporosis, which are leading causes of death and disability among all over the world.
Eating right can reduce the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, and high blood cholesterol, which increase the risk of disease. Well, good nutrition provides energy, raw materials, etc. The foods you eat provide the energy your body needs to function just like you need to put fuel in your car or recharge your cell phone battery; your body needs to be fed energy-providing foods every day.
Here are some Health Fitness Tips:
1. Don’t Smoke - It is true that smoking has been associated with an increase in metabolism it is a drug!! However it is a dangerous, addictive drug and surely the tiny effect it has on your metabolism is outweighed by the huge risk of dying from lung cancer.
2. Drink More Water - You can live three weeks without food, However you can only live for three days without fluid, just think 3 days and its all over, one could suggest that water is fairly important! The fluid in your body is responsible for helping to keep every system of your body in good working order, including all of your metabolic processes. The fluid in your body will also ensure that you can move well and be active.
3. Eat a Variety of Foods - For protection from the majority of illnesses such as heart disease and cancer you need a variety of foods that deliver that mix of nutrients and minerals. Aim to eat different colour fruits and vegetables. Try to eat a different food each month.
4. Relax for 20 Minutes a Day - Relaxing for at least 20 minutes a day will go a long way to reduce blood pressure and your reactions to stress. Sit or lie somewhere comfortable, breathe slowly in and out of the nostrils breathing deeply into your abdomen. Say HAM as you inhale and SA as you exhale. These suggestions are charged with positive energy and will help you control your emotions. Try once a day for fantastic results.
5. Floss Every Day - Flossing your teeth every day is the best way to prevent gum disease and protect your heart. Gum disease, which is left untreated, can lead to inflammatory reactions in the body that can trigger heart disease and stroke.
6. Drink More Tea - Try drinking more tea instead of coffee to help protect your body from damaging effects of free radicals. Tea is a rich source of antioxidants that play a big role in protecting against some cancers and cardiovascular disease.
7. Get Active - Aerobic activity not only burns calories but also increases your metabolism and can keep it elevated for several hours after a workout. You don’t need to spend hours each day on the treadmill or bike to reap the benefits. Exercising aerobically for as little as 20 minutes, three to five days a week will make a big difference. Extra movement throughout the day is also essential, take the stairs instead of the lift, lose the remote and move at every opportunity you can.
8. Get More Sleep - Lack of sleep changes your hormone levels and capacity to metabolize carbohydrates so less sleep = slower metabolism. Studies have revealed that deep sleep causes cell repair and cell growth, which will speed up the metabolism and burn calories. So aim to get at least eight hours sleep a night.
9. Eat More Protein - Protein stimulates the major brain chemical dopamine which keeps us alert, try chicken or tuna salads for lunch. Go for complex carbohydrates rather than white flour and sugar, as they will provide a sustained energy source as opposed to a quick hit. Another reason to leave simple carbohydrate out of the diet is that they have a negative effect on your skin and how it ages. The more sugar that is in the body the more you force a chemical reaction causing sugars to attach to proteins and this is very detrimental to your skin.
So, all I can say is Eat healthy to stay healthy. It is well said – A healthy mind in a healthy body.
Well, Everybody has different perspective and different thoughts about beauty. But keeping in mind, what I feel about beauty is very simple and straight i.e. Beauty is an idea and everybody's idea of beauty is unique.
It's been thousands years ago, for as long as we have been civilised, the secret of beauty and attractiveness has been a quest of humans. Many women and also the men spend up to one-third of their income on looking good. Why? This is what we are going to come up with. Well, the answer is very clear. Every body wants to be beautiful to have beautiful impression on other people.
Well, one's beauty is not a true beauty until you don't get to know what is a real beauty means? While we instinctively know what appeals to our own sense of beauty -- we know it when we see it -- defining what determines attractiveness is not always easy. In frustration, we often give up and claim that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." But is beauty really a personal phenomenon? This is what one should understand. There are many questions rolling in my mind now. Like do beauty and happiness go together? What is the relation between beauty and the sublime? And my answer would be very simple that the sublime is our reaction in the face of something so overpowering that it consumes or obliterates us. There is a saying that truth is beauty and beauty is truth, but is that correct? But I think it is false. Why does beauty matter? Beauty standards and practices have changed over time.
Today's beauty is an altered appearances. Its mean the world of cosmetics, tanning, body piercing, botulinum toxin, etc.
These days the cosmetics industry is one of the largest industry in the world, since cosmetics are often advertised as symbols of women's rights and independence, just slightly larger than the amount needed each year to provide reproductive health care for all women in developing countries like India. Cosmetic companies are essentially free to make exaggerated claims regarding their products, and those producing anti-aging creams frequently do, using celebrity and/or physician spokespersons and scientific-sounding names.
And tanning is the process in which skin pigmentation darkens as a result of exposure to ultraviolet light. It represents the skin's response to ultraviolet light injury; thus, there is no such thing as a "safe tan." Also, tattooing is an aesthetic choice, for others an initiation rite, and for some disabled individuals, a time-saving way to overcome difficulties in applying regular temporary makeup. Some obtain tattoos as an adjunct to reconstructive surgery, particularly of the face and breast, to simulate natural pigmentation; others to camouflage vitiligo.
Well, body piercing is very common. It has been practised since ancient times, as seen in art and antiquities. The prevalence of body piercing among undergraduates is as high as 50%. Body piercing include the earlobe, ear cartilage, eyebrow, tongue, lips, nose, umbilicus, nipples, and external genitalia.
Botulinum toxin can temporarily reduce or erase wrinkles due to normal aging; it does not work well on sun- or smoking-induced wrinkles. Its more conventional medical uses include treatment of blepharospasm, spasmodic torticollis, axillary hyperhidrosis, and achalasia.
Some grooming tips for women:
1. Make the most of the 'windows on your soul' by adding eyeliner, highlighter and mascara to emphasise and open up the area, and go easy on blusher and lipstick so the immediate focus is on your eyes. That should give them plenty to gaze into longingly…
2. Men like long hair for a reason - it feels soft and silky in contact with their hands and skin. To get hair they're aching to touch, make sure your hair's clean, use an intensive moisturising conditioner once a week to maintain body and don't use any product except a squirt of shine spray.
3. Wear knee-length boots with tights, though - bare legs and sticky leather don't go. These are a winner on both fronts - women love them because they look stylish with everything from short skirts to jeans, while men adore the suggestive naughtiness of a long boot.
4. The one thing all of people's favourite style icons have in common is their ability to project an image of being entirely comfortable in their own skin. So be confident in whatever you wear and whatever you do.
5. Shave those parts of the body that are normally associated with smooth skin. Under your armpits, on your legs at least from the knees down and around your bikini line if you're going to be prancing around in a bathing suit. Unwanted hair is a huge turn off for both men and women.
6. When you use makeup it is to enhance your appearance and not hide it. Accessories should compliment the clothing and body, they should not have you as a walking display case because excess can be a mess.
7. Most people who wear too much fragrance don't even realize they have that much on since we quit smelling our own scent quickly but it's a turn off for lots of other people, so the naked skin wins when it comes to wearing fragrance. Therefore, the only good way to use fragrance is on the naked skin because it wins!
8. Lastly, being clean is very important. Wash your whole body including inside your ears, between your toes and any other part of your anatomy that has flesh close to flesh that tends to be un-fresh! What a way to say wash everywhere! That goes for both women and men. So if you don't shower each day then at least do a sponge bath on any areas that perspire.
I hope this grooming tips will help you a lot. Some body has well-said and so true that a beautiful woman is a diamond but truthful, honest, trustworthy woman is a treasure.
And finally I would just like to add that beautiful person is that who does beautiful, who says beautiful and who feels beautiful and helps other people to do the same!
So, feel like beauty and you will be a beauty queen and enjoy altered appearance which is the secret of today's beauty!!!
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
2. Soluble fiber may reduce LDL cholesterol without lowering HDL cholesterol. LDL is bad; HDL is good.
3. Soluble fiber slows down the digestion of starch. This may be beneficial to diabetics because, when you slow down the digestion of starch, you avoid the sharp rises in your blood sugar level that usually occur following a meal.
4. It has been found that those who eat more oats are less likely to develop heart disease, a disease that is currently widespread in the United States.
5. The phytochemicals in oat may also have cancer-fighting properties.
6. Oats are a good source of many nutrients including vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium. Oats are also a good source of protein.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Spinach is a delicious green leafy vegetable which has been crowned as the ‘Powerhouse Of Nutrients’.
What Are The Nutrient Contents Of Spinach?
Vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, calcium, phosphorus manganese, iron, selenium, zinc, and omega 3 fatty acid.
Some of the health benefits of spinach are as follows:
- Diabetic patients benefit from spinach as they help to stabilize the blood sugar levels. Just boil some spinach leaves, extract the water, add a dash of salt and drink a cup of spinach juice daily.
- Spinach protects against ‘hardening of arteries’ as it contains substances such as inositol and choline.
- Spinach has antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. The flavonoids and carotenoids present in them fights against cancer such as colon, breast and prostrate cancer.
- Spinach helps in the formation of blood and prevents blood clotting. This is due to the presence of Vitamin K.
- Spinach increases longevity.
- Spinach contains calcium, proteins, minerals and folic acid which protect against anemia, insomnia, obesity, blood pressure, osteoporosis, nerve inflammation, tumors and many more.
- Spinach helps to retain memory.
- Spinach contains lutein which helps to prevent cataract formation in the eyes. It also helps against the onset of blindness by preventing macular degeneration which normally takes place in the adults. Thus, spinach helps elderly people to retain their eyesight and protect from night blindness and Celtic disease too.
- Spinach has a lower count of calories- 23 calories per 100 gram thereby making it a good food for obese people.
- Spinach helps in kidney and liver problems.
- Women during post-menopause period should increase the intake of spinach as it contains Vitamin k which will help in maintaining the bone health; otherwise, there are chances of getting osteoporosis (bone degeneration) and Crohn’s Disease.
Ways to have spinach- salads, raw, juices, soups, noodles, frozen, sandwiches etc.
A combination of 4 drops of iodine, one teaspoon of Epsom salt in quarter of a cup of hot water should be left to cool. Then use a cotton ball to apply some on the skin areas. It can be taken off after it has dried.
Regular application of a paste made of fresh fenugreek leaves [methi] and water, kept on the affected places for about 15 minutes each time is another good method. Use warm water to remove.
Using steam to open out the blocked pores of the skin, the affected areas could be rubbed for a minute or two using a towel. Use cold water to close up the pores again.
One tablespoon of lime juice added to a glassful of boiled milk could be used as an effective face wash. Regular use is a good home remedy.
Grind some radish seeds and make a paste with water. This could be applied on the affected skin and later washed away with water when dry.
Another paste blended using some milk, together with 5 grams of turmeric and 5 grams of red sandalwood should be applied for awhile and rinsed off later.
Almond powder and rose water together also makes a good remedial paste for application on the affected skin. This needs to be washed off using warm water.
You could make a skin scrub with a mixture of yoghurt, and equal quantities of lemon, salt and honey. Massage this blend for five to ten minutes into the skin.
After rinsing it off you must pat the area dry. Again warm honey applied to the skin is a beneficial method.
It has to be removed with water when dry. Equal quantities of fresh lime and groundnut oil mixed together, is an effective treatment when applied on the skin.
It should also be washed with warm water. Well beaten egg white should be applied on the affected skin, washed off with water, and scrubbed gently with a towel while wiping dry.
Three tablespoons of honey combined with a teaspoon of cinnamon powder should be well mixed and applied on the skin and kept on overnight. Lukewarm water must be used to wash it off in the morning.
There are many causes for this ailment. As usual, unbalanced or improper food is the cause, in addition to a not-so-healthy lifestyle. Consider the food first. Green vegetables rich in vitamin K and E, contribute to healthy skin. Eat a variety of fruits.
Among youngsters, smoking is a major cause for causing this imperfection. Inadequate sleep coupled with or caused by present-day stressful life aggravates the problem. Even natural sunlight, wind and cold affect your eyes.
However, a few precautionary measures and better, healthier food can be protective. Protect your eyes from the harsh sun. Develop a habit of wearing sunglasses before venturing out in the sun and give up smoking.
Give up consumption of food to which artificial flavors have been added. Depending on your age, six to eight hours of undisturbed sleep is a must.
Nevertheless, the most preferred and accepted products for improving the pigment around eyes are milk, almonds and potatoes. Potatoes have natural bleaching agents and that’s what is needed for overcoming this malady.
Raw grated potatoes or potato juice, when applied to the affected area, is very useful. Let the application remain there for 15-20 minutes and then wash thoroughly with cold water.
For better effects, use a mixture of potato juice and cucumber juice. Apply the mixed juice around the affected area with a cotton swab, let it remain there for twenty minutes and then wash it with cold water.
Or you may replace the mixture of juices with plain milk. Before going to sleep, apply it regularly and wash it off after fifteen minutes. You may add an extract of rose petals to milk and follow the same treatment.
For a while, leaving apart the professionals or a worker in any commercial organization, consider students. Be it a school going child or a postgraduate student, everybody is required to use a computer.
Internet is essentially becoming a source of research for almost any kind of study.
It’s being used as a source of entertainment too, though it’ll be difficult to say to what extent has it been successful in replacing a T.V for the purpose of entertainment.
Both these devices are already beginning to show the ill affects of continuous use.
Eyes are the first victims. Continuously operating of either of the two devices tires your eyes. Gradually it tires the rest of the body too, though one may not realize it.
The posture that one typically adopts while using a computer is not a relaxed one. The shoulders, arms, and neck are inclined to be somewhat tense in that position, and the back gets strained. To continue to remain in a good health for long, follow these practices.
Ensure to have a proper posture. It should be upright but not stiff. Sit straight, keeping elbows close to your sides, and your forearms roughly parallel to the floor.
Adjust the height of your chair to enable your feet to rest on the floor. Your eyes should be level to the top edge of the monitor. Maintain an ideal distance of about a foot and a half from the screen.
You must take small breaks as frequently as you can, but once in an hour is the least. This helps to relieve your eyes and body too.
The duration of a break of even two minutes is o.k. Get up from your seat. Walk around your table, if you have no other space to go.
Engage your eyes in simple exercises by covering them with the cups of your hand for 10-15 seconds and by focusing them on distant objects.
Today in the technological advanced times everybody is working on computers. Even if you are not in IT business you tend to hamper your eye sight to various environmental and other odd reasons. Children working on computers at home or school as well as the working people in different field need to protect their eyes from any possible problem. Sight is the most important of all the senses as per a recent survey which concludes that a huge percentage of what we perceive through all our senses come from our vision.
There are various eye related diseases and problems which can impair your sight. So, you should take into account all the possible ways to protect your precious eye from any disease or problem.
It can be done by following preventive methods as:
Having balanced and nutritious diet full of nutrients and vitamins will solve the purpose and you can have healthy eyes forever. You should eat berries, pomegranates and cherries in plenty. Include DHA in your daily dietary plan by consuming cod liver oil.
2. Beware of unhealthy foods:
Fats and oils including trans fatty acids are harmful for your eyes. These can damage blood vessels that supply eyes and brain. See the labels of the food items for harmful hydrogenated oil additions. If present quit the food item. It can be in any form of oil - soy, sunflower, corn, palm etc.
3. Quit all harmful things:
You should give away with all the bad habits as consuming unhealthy food, extra straining of eyes. Practice good habits and prevent your eyes from various eye related problems.
4. Give rest to your eyes:
Short breaks are very essential in-between the vigorous sight work. Close your eyes for a while to preserve them and to get relaxed. Do not strain your eyes with stretched long hours sittings.
5. Using flat computer monitor:
6. Eye Exercises:
The eye exercises tone up the eye muscles to keep their elasticity intact. With continuous exercising you'll notice a considerable difference in the quality of vision. These will also help in reducing eye strain, headaches and make your eyes feel relaxed and refreshed to resume work.
7. Physical Protection:
You should wear sunglasses whenever you move outside in sun to protect your eyes from sun glare, harmful rays, dust and wind. A good pair of sunglasses with UV protection is greatly helpful for your vision.
8. Protection from unhealthy surroundings:
There aren't any ways to fight against air pollution and dust in big cities. But keeping the homes clean can do a lot to save your sight.
9. Computer Glasses:
A good and reliable pair of computer glasses may also relieve you from strained eyes. It may help you see well. But it may be bought after the proper eyesight checkup by a doctor.
Sitting at a right distance from the screen is also a good preventive measure against strained eyes. To lessen the strain, keep the screen 18 or 28 inches from your eyes and at your eye level.
So, keep your eyes healthy by imparting these easy and helpful methods.
Because more than ever, you have to give your eyes the proper attention they need during this time of the year. First off, you have to make a lifestyle check. Are you eating the right foods?
Make sure that you include green leafy vegetables, carrots, liver, cod liver oil, and nuts in your diet. Be sure that what you eat is fresh and natural. This will give you the necessary nutrients better than overloading yourself with supplementary doses of Vitamin A.
Next, call your eye doctor set up an appointment for a checkup. With regular visits, you will be able to detect an eye problem early on. And so, the treatment will be a lot easier and may increase the chances of success. Visit your doctor at least twice a year, and subject yourself to a full eye examination.
Remember to perform simple exercises for your eyes to relieve them of stress. If you are suffering from minor eye problems such as strain from prolonged exposure to computer screens, try holding a pen at arm’s length and looking at its tips until you get teary-eyed.
For best results, make sure that you keep a strict distance between your eyes and the object you’re staring at. Also, you should take frequent breaks when reading a book or using the computer. Close your eyes for a minute to give them enough rest.
Another technique that you can do is closing your eyes and pressing your palms gently against them. Make sure that the bony part of your hand is resting on your cheekbones and not directly over the eyes. Do this for about 5 minutes.
Make sure you get a good night’s rest. After a strenuous day, sufficient rest is just what your eyes need. Remove the puffiness of your eyes by splashing cold water over them. And as they say, a slice of cucumber can do wonders for your eyes.
If you are suffering from itchy eyes, never rub them with your hands. One way to relieve the itchiness is by washing your eyes carefully with water. If the irritation continues, seek a doctor immediately.
If you’re not very fond of eyeglasses, try wearing contact lenses. Nowadays, consumers have more options to choose from such as colored cosmetic lenses, gas-permeable lenses, and disposable lenses. Contact lenses, while not very handy, are still efficient in doing their job. Just make sure you wash your hands when you put on or remove the lenses. And if you can, wear a good pair of sunglasses whenever you go out—especially during summer. It is also important for you to get your lenses sterilized every six months or so.
Of course, you can always opt for vision correction through Lasik surgery. If done properly, you will benefit from a quick, effective, and painless procedure that will correct vision impairment. Minutes after the landau scrubs have been put on, you will already find yourself in the recovery room, ready to go home after your eyes have had their rest.
Monday, April 6, 2009
Wishing Good Health to a Billion People!
It is a day that the human beings should focus on their health and explore ways to improve their health in every aspects of their lives.
World Health Day 2009 focuses on the resilience and safety of health facilities and the health workers who treat those affected by emergencies. Events around the world will highlight successes, advocate for safe facility design and construction, and build momentum for widespread emergency preparedness and and this year is the 60th anniversary of WHO or the World health Organization. Every year this day is observed as World health day, and organized around a predetermined theme to raise awareness of key global public health challenges.
While World Health Day may not have that much relevance in the developed nations, it has a lot more relevance in the poorer nations, where people struggle to get the most basic health care, including healthcare professionals and medicines.
Good health is the greatest asset for any human being to have because life will not be sweet if you are rich but sick!
Above all, try and free yourself daily for a few minutes. For about 30 mins everyday, be alone, stop thinking be SILENT, forget yourself and free your mind and body and connect to your inner being.
Another name for this is MEDITATION!
Do your meditation daily and try to connect to our God and the Universe.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Babies sometimes will have an allergic reaction to eggs. If that happens, they can't eat eggs for a while. But the good news is that most kids outgrow this allergy by age 5 and can eat eggs with no problem after that.
You probably know that some people are allergic to certain foods, like peanuts or shrimp. When a person has a food allergy, his or her body responds as if the food is a dangerous substance. This can happen to a little kid who eats eggs because his or her immune system isn't fully developed and can't handle the protein in eggs. (Most children who are allergic to eggs are allergic to the protein that's in the egg whites, but some react to the protein in the yolk.)
The immune system, which normally protects against germs and other problems, uses antibodies to fight the egg protein like it's a harmful invader. A baby who is allergic to eggs might feel sick or get a rash after eating eggs or any food containing eggs. The reaction could happen fast or it might take a few hours.
Signs and Symptoms
Here are symptoms someone might have due to an egg allergy:
* skin: hives, eczema, flushing, or swelling
* digestive system: belly pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or itching around the mouth
* respiratory system: runny nose, wheezing, or difficulty breathing
* cardiovascular system: rapid heartbeat, low blood pressure, or heart problems
In rare cases, a person could have a very serious allergic reaction, which can cause anaphylaxis (say: an-uh-fih-lak-sis). Immediate medical attention is needed because the person may have breathing problems and a drop in blood pressure.
Anaphylaxis is treated with a medicine called epinephrine (say: ep-uh-nef-rin), which is given by injection (a shot). Kids who have a severe egg allergy will usually carry — or have a grown-up carry — an epinephrine injection, just in case.
How Is It Diagnosed?
Because this allergy is often first noticed in babies, a mom or dad might notice that the baby gets a rash or gets sick shortly after eating eggs. The answer is usually to avoid giving the baby eggs until he or she gets older and the doctor says it's OK to try eggs again.
If, as an older kid, you think that you have had a reaction to eggs, you should not eat eggs or anything containing eggs until you have seen a doctor. The doctor may decide to do a skin test. This is a common way to check for allergies to eggs, other foods, and substances.
The doctor will place a small drop of an extract on the skin and then gently prick the skin to introduce a small amount of the allergen into the skin. If a reddish, raised spot develops where the egg extract was dropped, the person has egg allergy. The doctor will also test other foods or substances that cause allergies. In some cases, the doctor may take a small amount of your blood and test it, especially if the skin tests do not provide an answer.
It's important to remember that even though the doctor tests for food allergies by exposing you to a very small amount of the food, you should not try this at home! The best place for an allergy test is at the doctor's office, where they are specially trained and could give you medicine if you had a serious reaction.
The same sort of thing happens with any allergy, whether it's a medicine (like penicillin), pollen in the air (from flowers and trees), or a food, like peanuts. So the thing itself isn't harmful, but the way your body reacts to it is.
If a kid with peanut allergy would have eaten that peanut-topped brownie, here's what would happen. Antibodies to something in the food would cause mast cells (a type of immune system cell in the body) to release chemicals into the bloodstream. One of these chemicals is histamine (say: his-tuh-meen).
These foods cause the most food allergies:
* peanuts and other nuts
* seafood, such as shrimp
* milk, particularly cow's milk
What's a Reaction Like?
The histamine then causes symptoms that affect a person's eyes, nose, throat, respiratory system, skin, and digestive system. A person with a food allergy could have a mild reaction - or it could be more severe. An allergic reaction could happen right away or a few hours after the person eats it. Some of the first signs that a person may be having an allergic reaction could be a runny nose, an itchy skin rash such as hives, or a tingling in the tongue or lips. Other signs include:
* tightness in the throat
* hoarse voice
* stomach pain
In the most serious cases, a food allergy can cause anaphylaxis (say: ah-nuh-fuh-lak-sis). This is a sudden, severe allergic reaction in which several problems occur all at once and can involve the skin, breathing, digestion, the heart, and blood vessels. A person's blood pressure can drop, breathing tubes can narrow, and the tongue can swell.
People at risk for this kind of a reaction have to be very careful and need a plan for handling emergencies, when they might need to get special medicine to stop these symptoms from getting worse.
Many kids outgrow allergies to milk and eggs as they grow older. But severe allergies to foods like peanuts, certain kinds of fish, and shrimp often last a lifetime.
How Do You Know if You Have One?
Sometimes it's easy to figure out that a kid has a food allergy. He or she might get hives or have other problems after eating it. But other times, it's more of a mystery what's causing the problem. Most foods have more than one ingredient, so if a kid has shrimp with peanut sauce,
what's causing the allergy - the peanut sauce or the shrimp?
Doctors believe that allergies could be hereditary, which means if your parent or other close relative has certain allergies like hay fever, you're more likely to develop the allergies. Some kids are born allergic to certain foods, whereas others develop food allergies over time. This may be due to someone's surroundings or changes in the body as they grow older.
Many people react to a certain food but are not actually allergic. For example, people with lactose intolerance (say: lak-tose in-tah-luh-runtz) get belly pain and diarrhea from milk and other dairy products. That doesn't mean they're allergic to milk. They don't feel good after drinking milk because their bodies can't properly break down the sugars found in milk.
What Will the Doctor Do?
If you think you may be allergic to a certain food, let your parents know. They will take you to the doctor to get it checked out.
If your doctor thinks you might have a food allergy, he or she will probably send you to see a doctor who specializes in allergies. The allergy specialist will ask you about past reactions and how long it takes between eating the food and getting the symptom, such as hives. The allergist also may ask about whether anyone else in your family has allergies or other allergy-related conditions, such as eczema or asthma.
The allergist may also want to do a skin test. This is a way of seeing how your body reacts to a very small amount of the food that is giving you trouble. The allergist will use a liquid extract of the food and, possibly, other common allergy-causing foods to see if you react to any of them. (A liquid extract is a liquid version of something that usually isn't liquid.)
The doctor will make a little scratch on your skin (it will be a quick pinch!) and drop a little of the liquid extract on the scratched spot or spots. Different extracts will go on the different scratch spots, so the doctor can see how your skin reacts to each substance. If you get a reddish, raised spot, it shows that you are allergic to that food or substance.
Some doctors may also take a blood sample and send it to a lab. That's where it will be mixed with some of the food or substance you may be allergic to and checked for certain antibodies.
It's important to remember that even though the doctor tests for food allergies by exposing you to a very small amount of the food, you should not try this at home! The best place for an allergy test is at the doctor's office, where they are specially trained and could give you medicine right away if you had a serious reaction.
How Are Food Allergies Treated?
There is no special medicine for food allergies. Some can be outgrown, and others a kid will have his or her whole life. The best treatment is simply to avoid the food itself and any foods or drinks that contain the food.
One way to figure that out is to read food labels. Any foods that might cause an allergic reaction will be listed near or in the ingredient list. Doctors and allergy organizations also can help by providing lists of safe foods and unsafe foods. Some people who are very sensitive may need to avoid foods just because they are made in the same factory that also makes their problem food. You may have seen some candy wrappers that say the candy was made in a factory that processes nuts, too.
* Mash a banana with milk and apply on face and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash it with cold water to get a skin that will glow.
* Apply honey on your face and neck for 20 minutes. Wash it with cold water. Your skin will glow and become soft and smooth.
* Mix egg white with honey and apply on the face for 20 minutes. Wash it with cold water.
* Make a paste of one teaspoon of walnut powder, honey and lemon juice. Scrub your face with this paste and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash it with cold water.
* Rub a piece of papaya on your face and neck for 15 minutes.
* Make a paste by mixing 2 tablespoon turmeric (haldi) powder in orange juice. Scrub it on your face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash it with cold water.
* Make a paste by mixing mashed banana, honey, lemon juice and margarine. Apply on face for overnight. Smear on hands and feet, and wash off in the morning (wear gloves in hands and socks in feet).
* Boil cabbage in water. Wash your face with this water.
* Powder mango peels and mix 1 teaspoon milk powder and rub on face, neck, and hands. Wash it off after 15 minutes.
* Mix one cup of sugar with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon / lime juice. While taking bath, lather your body and face heavily with a soft soap like Dove. Scrub the whole body and face with the sugar mixture on the lather.
* After a shower apply vaseline over your entire body. Shower again after one hour. Repeat twice a month.
* Mix corn (polenta) flour with egg white and apply on your face. When your face is dried completely in about 1/2 an hour, put your fingers in warm water and massage your face. Repeat daily for 10-15 days.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
2. Cardiovascular Health: Omega 3 fatty acids have also been proven to work wonders for your heart and the miles and miles of arteries and veins that make up your cardiovascular system. They help to lower cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.
3. Protection from Stroke and Heart Attack: When plaque builds up on arterial walls and then breaks loose, it causes what's known as a thrombosis, which is a fancy way of saying clot. If a clot gets stuck in the brain, it causes a stroke and when it plugs an artery, it causes a heart attack. Research shows omega 3 fatty acids break up clots before they can cause any damage.
4. Better Brain Function and Higher Intelligence: Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by supplementing with fish oil. For adults, omega 3 improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You'll swear you're getting younger and smarter.
5. Less Depression and Psychosis: Making you smarter is not all omega 3 does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield, along with many other research studies, found that omega 3 fish oil supplements "alleviate" the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).
6. Lower Incidence of Childhood Disorders: Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies show that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD experience a greatly improved quality of life. And those with dyslexia, dyspraxia and compulsive disorders have gotten a new lease on life thanks to omega 3 oils.
7. Reduction of Breast, Colon and Prostate Cancer: And finally, omega 3 fish oil has been shown to help prevent three of the most common forms of cancer – breast, colon and prostate. Science tells us that omega 3s accomplish this in three ways. They stop the alteration from a normal healthy cell to a cancerous mass, inhibiting unwanted cellular growth and causing apoptosis, or cellular death, of cancer cells.
1. For Curing Arthritis: A paste should be made from one part honey and two parts of luke warm water added with a small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. This paste should be massaged on the itching part of the body and the pain should recede within fifteen minutes in most cases.
2. Hair Loss : For hair loss or baldness, patients may apply a paste made out of hot olive oil, one tablespoon of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder. This should be applied before they take bath and keep it for approximately 15 minutes. After that they can wash it off with luke warm water.
3. Toothache: A paste made of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five teaspoons of honey when applied on the aching tooth (may be done 3 times a day) reduces the pain within a matter of 15 minutes.
4. Reducing Cholesterol: Take two tablespoons of honey, three teaspoons of cinnamon powder and mix in 16 ounces of tea, when given to a cholesterol patient, reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10% within 2 hours. Pure honey is also sometimes used with food to check cholesterol.
5. Cure Colds: For those who are suffering from common or severe colds, they should take one tablespoon of luke warm honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold and clear the sinuses.
6. Curing Infertility: Various ancient medical streams like Ayurveda and Yunani have been using honey for years in medicine to strengthen the semen of men. Two tablespoons of honey before they go to sleep is what is prescribed by many experienced practitioners. This combination will work wonders for women as well. In China, Japan and other Asian countries, if the women who do not conceive, and or if their uterus is weak, then they have been prescribed cinnamon powder. Women who cannot conceive may take a pinch of cinnamon powder in half a teaspoon of honey, and apply it on the gums frequently throughout the day, so that it slowly mixes with the saliva and enters the body.
7. Stomach Upset: Honey taken with cinnamon powder also helps in curing stomach ache. For people who are suffering from gas problems, honey should be taken with cinnamon powder in equal quantities, relieves gas and pain in the stomach.
8. Immune System: The daily intake of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacterial and viral attacks. Researchers have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts and its use strengthens the white blood corpuscles.
9. Longevity: Ancient cultures used Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder for longevity. 4 spoons of honey, 1 spoon of cinnamon powder and 3 cups of water are boiled to make this tea. The prescribed amount is to drink 1/4 cup, 3 times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and slows down old age.
10. Weight Loss: Drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup water first thing in the morning (empty stomach). If taken regularly it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also drinking of this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body, even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
- The strong water removing powers of celery enable it to be used in the control of health problems such as arthritis, stone, liver problems and rheumatism.
- A tablespoonful of honey in celery juice, sipped slowly, will very effectively reduce the appetite if taken before a meal, and makes a delightful drink. It will also help in reducing their weight.
- You can take the same mixture as a nightcap; it will help you to relax into a soothing and restful sleep. So those who have a problem of sleeplessness must enjoy the sound sleep after having this yummy health drink.
- Those who are suffering from stones in the gall bladder or the kidney must take the juice of celery. It has been found that those who drank juice do not found any formation of stones in bladders & kidney again. It seems likely that this effect is related to the anti-arthritic properties of the juice.
- Celery calms the nerve because of the high calcium content & helps in controlling high blood pressure. Raw celery should be eaten to reduce high blood pressure.
- Celery is used in aromatherapy and other traditional way of healing like Ayurveda. In Japan, rheumatic patients are sometimes put on a celery only diet.
- Moreover you can eat a lot of celery without thinking twice because it has almost zero calories. You won't add any extra pounds after having such a yummy drink or raw celery.
- The whole plant is gently stimulating & nourishing; it also acts as a digestive remedy and liver stimulant. A tincture can be used as a diuretic in hypertension and urinary disorders.
- Celery roots, fruits (seeds), and aerial parts, are used as ethno medically to treat mild anxiety and agitation, loss of appetite, fatigue & cough.
Moreover, it is regarded as a miracle by naturopaths & herbalists.
- Garlic acts as an antiseptic & helps in curing the wounds very quickly.
- One of the health benefits of garlic is that it helps in fighting against various infection & acts against inflammation and infection, including colds, coughs by adding a freshly cut raw clove to food three times a day or take kyolic garlic capsules but raw is always best.
- In certain studies in China it has been shown that it contains chemicals that prevent cancer. They suggest that eating garlic on regular basis provides some protection against cancer.
- Fresh or cooked garlic or 500 mg garlic capsules twice daily helps in lowers down the blood pressure & cardiovascular problems. It increases the levels of high density lipoproteins & reduces harmful cholesterol in the blood & keeps arteries and heart healthy.
- It thins the blood, reduces clotting and helps in controlling blood pressure and poor circulation.
- Garlic stimulates the immune system of body & helps in fighting against various diseases.
- Prevents & relieves chronic bronchitis, respiratory problems, and catarrh.
- It acts as a nasal decongestant & expectorant.
- It is also helpful for hum oral asthma, hysteria, dropsy & scurvy.
- Garlic works as a cleanser of the digestive system, helps in curing flatulence, kills internal parasites and is an excellent internal antiseptic.
- Researcher recommends daily dose of fresh garlic of about 4 gm, equivalent to one or two small cloves for each & every person who wants to keep himself healthy.
2-3 slices of Bread
1/2 onion (finely chopped)
1/2 tomato (finely chopped)
1-2 green chilies (finely chopped)
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Salt To Taste
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp red chili powder or to taste
Oil to fry
Heat oil in a frying-pan or griddle. Dip bread slice in the mixture and coat it evenly and fry over low flame.
Fry on both sides until done. Repeat the same for other slices.
Serve egg toast hot with ketchup.
Salt & pepper powder to taste
In saucepan or deep omelet pan, bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boiling. Reduce heat to keep water gently simmering. Break cold eggs, 1 at a time, into custard cup or saucer or break several into bowl. Holding dish close to water's surface, slip eggs, 1 by 1, into water. Cook until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 3 to 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, lift out eggs. Drain in spoon or on paper towels and trim any rough edges, if desired. Serve poached eggs hot sprinkled with salt & pepper powder to taste.
1/4th onion (finely chopped)
1-2 green chilies (finely chopped)
1/4th tomato (chopped), optional
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Salt To Taste
1/4th tsp red chili powder or to taste
1 tbsp milk
Oil to fry
Beat the eggs and add milk, chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, coriander, salt & chili powder.
Beat the mixture until foamed.
Heat oil in a frying pan and add the mixture. Cook over low heat till mixture is firm and flip it and fry the other side.
Serve hot with bread or Paratha.
1 tsp grated lemon peel
16 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp each: dried basil, oregano, and rosemary
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter
In large bowl, combine milk and lemon peel. Add eggs and seasonings, mix well. Stir in cheeses. In large skillet, melt butter, pour in egg mixture. Cook and stir gently over medium heat until eggs are set, about 15 minutes. Garnish with parsley. Serves 6-8
This recipe is perfect for breakfast and also serves 2 hungry people.
6 large eggs
6 teaspoons (1 teaspoon for each egg) low-fat milk
3 dashes of salt (1 dash for every two eggs)
1 Tablespoon butter for frying
Heat a large non-stick frying pan to a setting just above medium. A 12-inch pan works well for 6 eggs. Do not add butter yet. We just want get the pan ready.
In large metal or glass mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and salt. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes.
Alternatively, you can place the eggs, milk and salt in a blender and blend for 20 to 25 seconds. Allow the mixture to set for a couple minutes to let the foam settle.
Melt the butter in the frying pan. As the very last of the butter is liquefying, add the egg mixture.
Do not stir immediately. Wait until the first hint of setting begins. Start the Martha Stewart scrambling technique ("Using a spatula or a flat wooden spoon, push eggs toward center while tilting skillet to distribute runny parts.")
Continue this motion as the eggs continue to set. Break apart large pieces as they form with your spoon or spatula. You will come to a point where the push-to-center technique is no longer cooking runny parts of the egg. Flip over all the eggs. Allow the eggs to cook 15 to 25 seconds longer. Transfer eggs to serving plates. Add salt and pepper to taste.